Deadbeat parent laws are laws that deal with a failure to pay child support amounts ordered by the court. They are sometimes called “deadbeat dad laws” due to the stereotype that some fathers fail to provide child support. But these laws apply to any parent who fails to make their obligatory child support payments.

Are there any Penalties Associated with Deadbeat Dad Laws?

Failure to render child support can lead to various legal consequences. These can include:

  • Loss of child custody or visitation rights
  • Negative effects on credit
  • Court sanctions
  • Loss of driving privileges
  • Negative effects on immigration status
  • In some cases, criminal penalties may be applied (such as jail time)

Often violations of deadbeat parent laws can cause wage garnishment. So the court can order the paying parent’s employer to take amounts from the person’s paycheck and apply them to child support. These consequences often begin after several unsuccessful attempts to collect from the paying parent. Yet state laws may vary with enforcement of these laws.

Can I Contest a Support Issue?

In some cases, it may be possible to contest a support issue. For instance, child support can be contested due to factors such as:

  • A court error
  • Misuse of support funds by the other parent
  • A change in circumstances by the other parent

But it is generally difficult to contest a court support order without supporting evidence. Legal representation may be necessary for complex or ongoing support issues.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with Deadbeat Parent Laws?

Every state has different laws and statutes when it comes to deadbeat parent issues and child support payment requirements. You may need to hire a child support lawyer in your area if you have any issues or need assistance with child support issues. A lawyer can provide you with information and advice to help you with your claim. Your lawyer can provide you with research and advice to help you with your claim. Your attorney can also represent you if you need to file a lawsuit or if you need to make an appearance in court.