Find the right lawyer now

Washington Retroactive Child Support

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

Washington Retroactive Child Support

Retroactive child support is also known as back child support. Generally, when a custodial parent files for a child support proceeding, the court will award child support for future expenses and not for back child supported owed.

In Washington, the court generally disfavors awarding back child support, but will do so if paternity was at issue and if there was a lapse in modification of a child support order.

Paternity Is at Issue

The Washington court system is more likely to award back child support when the parents are not married and paternity is at issue. To obtain back child support, the mother must file a paternity action against the alleged father.

Once the paternity is proven, then the father will only have to pay retroactive child support for up to five years. This child support amount is for past child birth and child raising expenses. If the father has contributed to some of those expenses prior to the paternity action, then the father will not owe the full amount. The court will most likely require evidence of any monies previously paid.

Lapse in Modification of Past Child Support Order

Another way to get back child support is where there was a lapse in modification of an child support order. This happens when there is already an existing child support order with a date for modification. When the modification date passes and when the custodial parent files for a modification, then the non-custodial parent may owe retroactive child support from the modification date of the initial child support order.

For example, two parents have a court order child support agreement with a modification date of May 2014 and neither of the parents took any action until February 2015. The court finally modifies the court order is March 2015 and does award retroactive child support. As a result, the non-custodial parent must pay retroactive child support difference from initial modification date of May 2014 to the final modification date of March 2015.

Consulting an Attorney

You should consult a family law attorney if you are involved in a child support proceeding. An attorney will help you determine the fair amount of child support payment owed to your child. Otherwise, without proper representation, these child support proceedings may be a costly financial battle between the parents without having your child's best interest in mind.

Photo of page author Mabel Yee

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 06-25-2018 06:29 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.