Guest Workers Lawyers

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

Who Are Guest Workers?

A guest worker is a person from another country who has been granted permission to work in the U.S. temporarily. This person is typically sponsored and petitioned by a U.S.-based employer for a time period of up to one year. They are granted an employment visa that allows them to stay and work in the country for the allotted time.

After a guest worker’s allotted time for employment has expired, the guest worker must generally return to their country of origin. Guest worker arrangements usually involve some form of seasonal or cyclical work.

What Are Guest Worker Programs?

Guest worker programs allow employers to petition foreign workers for temporary work in their company. There are currently two guest worker programs available under federal law: the H-2A visa program for agricultural workers and the H-2B visa program for non-agricultural lines of work. The programs allow employment in the U.S. for the same worker for less than one year.

While there are slight differences between the two programs, sponsor employers must follow the same basic requirements. They must be able to prove to the Department of Labor (DOL) that:

Foreign nationals who participate in guest worker programs are generally not allowed to bring their families to the United States with them. Thus, they are often separated from their spouses and children during the time of their employment.

What Are Common Issues Involving Guest Worker Rights?

Guest worker programs can be beneficial for both employers and workers. However, there are specific legal issues that all involved parties should keep in mind. These include:

Lastly, due to the temporary nature of guest worker programs, some guest workers may be subject to various abuses. These can include abuses with regards to working conditions, wages, working hours, and other factors. Any immigrant worker’s rights violations should be reported to labor authorities or to a legal professional.

Should I Hire a Lawyer for Help with Guest Worker Issues?

Guest worker laws are complex and may be subject to change on a yearly basis. It may be in your best interests to hire an immigration lawyer in your area if you have any questions or if you need any help with guest worker issues. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and research to assist you with your claim. Also, if you need to file any legal documents or appear in an immigration court, your lawyer can assist you with those processes as well.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-17-2015 05:24 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark