First Time Offenders
Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer
Who are Considered First Time Offenders?
There are many people that are first time DUI offenders. Simply, these individuals have never been caught drinking and driving before. The government can take a variety of measures against first time offenders but some common themes resonate with first time DUI offenders.
What are Some Penalties for DUI Offenders?
First time DUI offenders are probably going to have certain penalties imposed. These penalties may include:
- Monetary fine: These fines can range depending on the circumstances of each case
- Probation: An offender's probation can range again depending on the circumstances of each case
- License suspension: A person's driver's license will usually be revoked for about four months
- First offender school: This is a class that requires DUI offenders to educate them on the seriousness of driving while intoxicated
- Community Service: A court might require a first time offender to some type of community service
Can I Get a Restricted Driver's License?
A court will typically allow a DUI offender to a restricted driver's license. A first time offender might be able to drive to and from work but for no other purpose. However, a one month's suspension is required before a restricted driver's license can be granted.
Should I Consult an Attorney?
An experienced criminal defense attorney can be extremely helpful in DUI cases. These defense attorneys can help to evaluate the evidence against a suspect and determine whether the field sobriety tests were administered correctly. In addition, experienced criminal defense attorneys might be able to reduce any penalties imposed on first time offenders.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-01-2015 09:26 AM PDT
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page