Detention Alternative Lawyers
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have programs that are less restrictive alternatives to detention.
What Are the Alternatives to Detention?
The detention alternatives available to qualified aliens are:
- Release on Order of Recognizance (ROR) - If the person is in the midst of immigration proceedings they may be released from detention under certain restrictions. Reporting to detention authorities and appearing at all immigration proceedings are just a few of the requirements. A ROR is used when an alien does not have the resources to afford a bond.
- Appearance Bond - A bond is more restrictive than ROR and is used to guarantee the person¿s appearance at immigration proceedings. If the person fails to appear at a proceeding, their bond will be forfeited.
- Electronic Monitoring Devices (EMD) - These devices are used to ensure compliance with court appearances and removal orders. An ankle bracelet is worn by the individual or they must report by telephone to a case manager.
- Intensive Supervision Appearance Program (ISAP) - Case specialists are assigned to persons using monitoring bracelets, home and work visits, and telephone check-ins.
Who Is Eligible for Intensive Supervision Appearance Program?
To be eligible for participation in ISAP, an alien must be an adult with a confirmed identity who does not pose a threat to the community or national security. Besides volunteering for the program, the person must:
- Be waiting for impending immigration court proceedings
- Be awaiting removal from the United States
- Residing in an area covered by ISAP
Do I Need a Lawyer?
If you or someone you know was detained, an experienced immigration attorney can determine if an alternative form of detention is available. An immigration attorney can help you with all the detailed procedures of detainment.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-14-2011 04:39 PM PST
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page