Bonded titles are certificates that provide proof of a person’s ownership of a car, truck, or other types of motor vehicles. The bonded title allows the owner to conduct various transactions legally, including:

  • Selling the motor vehicle
  • Registering the car with a local motor vehicle department (DMV)
  • Obtaining insurance for the car

Bonded titles are sometimes called "Certificates of Title Surety." The exact name of the document may vary slightly by jurisdiction. Unlike an automobile warranty, bonded titles generally don’t make any claims or promises regarding the condition of a car; they simply provide proof of ownership of the vehicle.

How Are Bonded Titles Obtained?

It’s usually necessary to file for a bonded title with a DMV or equivalent agency. Obtaining a bonded title usually involves steps such as:

  • Purchasing the car or receiving it as a gift
  • Making a legitimate effort to obtain the original title before applying for a bonded title
  • In some regions, payment of certain taxes

Thus, there usually needs to be a transfer of ownership from a legitimate owner to a new owner in order for a bonded title to be issued. That is, bonded titles are generally not issued for abandoned vehicles.

What if I Have a Dispute Over a Bonded Title?

Bonded title disputes may be a major part of legal claims such as:

These types of claims may result in a lawsuit in which the non-breaching party receives a damages award. This can help the person to recover losses caused by a breach of contract or a fraudulent bonded title.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with a Bonded Title?

Every state has different laws that govern certificates such as bonded titles. You may need to hire a products and services lawyer if you need help filing a claim involving a bonded title. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and can represent you during court if you need to file a lawsuit.