What Is a Bonded Title?

Locate a Local Products & Services Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Products & Services Law Issues:

What Is a Bonded Title?

A bonded title, also known as a "Certificate of Title Surety", is a document that proves a person's ownership of a motor vehicle. It can be used in place of a standard vehicle title in order to register a car with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), buy insurance for the car, or sell the car.

In most states, bonded titles can be issued for various types of vehicles like cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles and even some RVs.

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining a Bonded Title?

A bonded title can usually be obtained by filing with the DMV. While the law might vary from state to state, the main requirements for obtaining a bonded title usually include the following:

It should be noted that a bonded title does not absolutely guarantee ownership of the vehicle and can be disputed. In most cases, a bonded title is considered to be a "provisional" document, and can sometimes be challenged for some time after the certificate has been issued. In many states, a bonded title can be challenged up till three years after its original issue date.

What Can a Bonded Title Be Used For?

A bonded title can be used for many purposes, including:

Do I Need a Lawyer if I Have Any Legal Issues Related to a Bonded Title?

A bonded title can be very helpful if you are involved in certain legal disputes as it can clarify who is the proper owner of a vehicle. If you need help researching the laws in your area regarding bonded titles and other types of vehicle certificates, you should contact an attorney. Your attorney can also provide you with legal representation if there is a dispute concerning the bonded title.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 05-06-2015 09:47 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark