What Is a Default Judgment?

Where You Need a Lawyer:

(This may not be the same place you live)

At No Cost! 

 What Is a Default Judgment?

When a defendant fails to reply to a lawsuit or otherwise take action in the case, a default judgment is issued in favor of the plaintiff.

This may occur when a defendant receives legal paperwork, such as a summons and complaint, but fails to file an answer or otherwise reply within the time frame stipulated by the court. When this occurs, the court may issue a default judgment, which usually grants the plaintiff the remedy requested in the initial complaint.

A default judgment differs from other sorts of judgments, such as summary judgments or trial judgments, which are rendered after a hearing or trial in which all parties have the chance to present evidence and defend their case. A default decision differs from a consent judgment, which is entered freely by both parties.

The garnishment of a defendant’s bank account or paycheck is connected to a default judgment. If a default judgment is obtained against a defendant, the plaintiff may garnish the defendant’s wages or bank account to collect the judgment amount. Garnishment is a legal procedure that withholds a part of a person’s income or assets to pay off a debt or judgment.

To avoid excessive hardship, the court will usually determine a maximum proportion of a person’s income or assets that may be garnished.

What Does Collecting a Judgment Have to Do with a Default Judgment?

Implementing a court order and receiving money from the losing side is known as collecting on a judgment.

A default judgment might make it simpler for the plaintiff to collect on a judgment since the defendant has already lost the case by default without fighting the claims brought against them. The plaintiff is not obliged to prove their case in court with a default judgment, and they may be able to collect on the judgment more swiftly and readily.

Wage garnishment is one method of collecting on a default judgment. The court has the authority to compel the defendant’s employer to withhold a percentage of the defendant’s salary each pay period until the judgment is satisfied.

Seizures of assets such as bank accounts, real estate, or personal property are another means to collect on a default judgment. The court may order the sale of these assets to satisfy the judgment.

A default judgment may also allow the plaintiff to collect interest on the amount of the judgment. The state determines the interest rate, which may vary depending on the jurisdiction. This is to make up for the plaintiff’s delay in getting cash.

It is crucial to remember that just because a default judgment has been issued does not inevitably guarantee that the plaintiff will be able to collect on the verdict. Even if the plaintiff obtains a default judgment, collecting the judgment may be difficult if the defendant has no assets or income. A default judgment is a court order that does not ensure payment.

What Are the Requirements of a Default Judgment?

A default judgment is a court finding in the plaintiff’s favor when the defendant fails to reply to a lawsuit or otherwise take action.

The plaintiff often initiates the default judgment process by filing a lawsuit and serving the defendant with legal documents, such as a summons and complaint.

The defendant is then granted a fixed amount of time by the court to answer the complaint. If the defendant does not answer within this time frame, the plaintiff may request that the court impose a default judgment.

The prerequisites for a default judgment differ according to jurisdiction and case type. In most circumstances, however, the plaintiff must demonstrate that the defendant was duly served with the complaint and failed to answer within the appropriate time frame. The plaintiff must also demonstrate the amount of damages sought in the action.

Once the court is satisfied that the prerequisites for a default judgment have been fulfilled, the judgment will be entered in favor of the plaintiff. Typically, the decision will provide the plaintiff with the remedy requested in the initial complaint, such as monetary damages or specific performance.

Following the entry of a default judgment, the plaintiff may pursue actions to collect on the judgment, such as garnishing the defendant’s salary or seizing the defendant’s assets. If the defendant has a viable response to the claim and a good justification for not replying sooner, they may also move to have the default judgment set aside.

In general, the default judgment procedure permits the court to make a judgment in a case when the defendant does not challenge the claims leveled against them. However, a default judgment does not ensure payment, and the plaintiff may still encounter issues collecting the judgment if the defendant has no assets or income.

Can This Judgment Be Used If a Defendant Files an Answer?

A default judgment cannot be utilized if a defendant submits a response to the complaint.

An answer is a legal document in which the defendant answers to the claims included in the complaint and asserts any defenses to the claim. When a defendant submits a response, the case moves on to the next phase, during which both parties may present evidence and argue their position.

If a defendant submits a response, the court will usually set a hearing or trial to decide the case’s merits. The plaintiff must establish their case by a majority of the evidence, while the defendant may offer evidence and explain their arguments.

If the plaintiff can establish their case, the court will grant them a judgment. If the defendant can show a viable defense to the claim, the court may either issue a judgment in their favor or dismiss the case.

If the court grants the plaintiff a judgment, the plaintiff may pursue actions to collect on the judgment, such as garnishing the defendant’s income or seizing the defendant’s assets. The defendant may also file an appeal if they feel the court made a mistake or that the decision is unfair. Before the trial or hearing, the defendant might reach an agreement with the plaintiff.

In summary, if a defendant files a response to the complaint, it signifies the defendant is challenging the claims and wants to go to trial or hearing. After hearing both parties’ facts and arguments, the court will decide the parties’ legal alternatives and rights.

Can a Judgment Be Vacated?

Yes, a judgment may be vacated, which implies that it is overturned or rendered null and invalid by a court. A decision might be vacated for various reasons, including error, fraud, newly found evidence, or other legal grounds.

A judgment may be vacated if it was issued in error, such as when the court calculated damages incorrectly or when the judgment was lodged against the wrong party. A judgment may also be dismissed if it was acquired through deception, such as when the plaintiff lied to the court or withheld evidence.

Should I Contact an Attorney about a Default Judgment?

It is strongly advised that if you have been served with a complaint and are facing a default judgment, you contact an attorney as soon as possible.

An attorney could assist you in understanding your legal choices and rights and take measures to remove the default judgment if it was filed by error or for another good cause.

If you have been issued with a default judgment and are having problems collecting on it, such as if the defendant has no assets or income, an attorney may assist you. An attorney may assist you in investigating other methods of collecting on the judgment, such as filing a lien or garnishing the defendant’s earnings.

If you’ve been served with a default judgment in a personal injury lawsuit, you should contact a personal injury attorney right away since personal injury proceedings sometimes have stringent deadlines and time limits. An attorney can assist you in navigating the legal system and ensure your rights are safeguarded.

Save Time and Money - Speak With a Lawyer Right Away

  • Buy one 30-minute consultation call or subscribe for unlimited calls
  • Subscription includes access to unlimited consultation calls at a reduced price
  • Receive quick expert feedback or review your DIY legal documents
  • Have peace of mind without a long wait or industry standard retainer
  • Get the right guidance - Schedule a call with a lawyer today!

16 people have successfully posted their cases

Find a Lawyer