Vermont law requires employers to furnish to the employee an itemized paycheck that details their wages earned, taxes deducted, and other inclusive details of their pay period. The paycheck given to employers must be made available to the employee once or twice a month or at the time of payment of wages or compensation.

When Must Paychecks Be Sent Out?

In Vermont, Employers must pay employees their paychecks on a weekly basis. This can be changed if there is notice given to employees of the designated pay periods. After providing written notice to its employees, an employer may issue paychecks on a bi-weekly or semi-monthly basis. Payday shall be within 6 days of the last day of the pay period.

What Happens If You are Fired?

In Vermont, if the employer fires an employee, the employee must be paid within 72 hours from the time of discharge. An employee who voluntarily quits their job must be paid on the last regular payday, or if there is no regular payday, on the following Friday.

Can Your Paycheck be Garnished?

Yes. Your paycheck can be garnished. However, Vermont law limits how much creditors can garnish of your wages to repay debts like unpaid taxes, child support, or settlements. Vermont wage garnishment laws are considered stricter than federal wage garnishment laws, which means that state law will control.

Under Vermont law, creditors can take only up to 15% of your wages if they want to garnish your wages for unpaid debt. However, there are few types of debt, where creditors can take more. Creditors can garnish paychecks more than the limits set for the following types of unpaid debt:

  • Unpaid income taxes
  • Court ordered child support
  • Student loans in default

Can You Recover a Withheld Paycheck?

There are no events under which an employer can entirely withhold a final paycheck under Vermont law. Employers are required to pay the employee their wages due when the pay period has arrived. If an employee is unable to obtain his or her final paycheck from an employer, the employee can contact the Vermont Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Program, in order to file a claim against the employer. An employee also has the option of filing a wage claim against the employer in small claims court or with the assistance of an attorney.

Where Can You Find the Right Lawyer?

If your employer has withheld an amount from your final paycheck for property you kept, a Vermont employment attorney may be able to help. An experienced Vermont employment lawyer will be familiar with the laws of your state and the federal laws that may govern your particular paycheck issue, and can advise you on your rights and potential remedies.