Quasi Community Property Lawyers

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

What is Quasi Community Property?

Quasi community property is property acquired by either spouse in a non-community property state that would have been community property had the couple been domiciled in a community property state. Quasi community property is a legal fiction created by the courts of community property states to facilitate division of assets acquired out-of-state. Quasi community property exists only when the marriage comes to an end through death or divorce.

Who Controls Quasi Community Property during Marriage?

During marriage, quasi community property is treated as the separate property of the acquiring spouse, so long as the acquiring spouse treats it as separate property.

What Happens to Quasi Community Property in Divorce?

In divorce proceedings quasi community property is treated just as if it were community property. Quasi community property is divided 50/50 between the spouses.

What Happens to Quasi Community Property if One Spouse Dies?

Division of quasi community property depends on which spouse dies first: 

Do Creditors Have Access to Quasi Community Property?

Although highly controversial, in most community property states quasi community property is treated as community property. So creditors of the non-acquiring spouse have access to the acquiring spouse's assets during marriage.

Should I Consult a Lawyer about my Quasi Community Property Issues?

The laws of community property states can be very complicated and confusing. An experienced family lawyer can help you determine how the law affects your property. A family attorney can also represent you in court if a dispute arises.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-16-2012 10:59 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark