Parent's Visitation Rights Affected by the Parent's Sexual Conduct

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

Are a Parent's Child Visitation Rights Affected by the His or Her Sexual Conduct?

Many courts dispute whether the non-marital sexual conduct or relationship of the non-custodial parent affects the parent's visitation rights. Basically there are two positions on the topic:

What Conduct is Considered "Harmful" to the Child?

Generally, courts today are less likely to enforce visitation restrictions on the basis of non-marital heterosexual relationships. However, some jurisdictions have considered the following behaviors of the non-custodial parent to have a "harmful" effect on the child:

How Does the Custodial Parent Change Visitation Rights of the Non-Custodial Parent?

When custodial parents want to change existing visitation rights, one person generally must show a change in circumstances that justifies an alteration. Furthermore, custodial parents must factor how the court will weigh whether a parent's rights have been unconstitutionally violated through newly imposed visitation restrictions.

Will a Family Attorney Help in My Case for Child Visitation Rights?

There are many complex and emotional issues in dealing with children visitation rights. Courts will consider each one and weigh all the circumstances to make a final decision. Ultimately, the court must make a decision based on the best interests of the child. An experienced family attorney will assist you in seeking your interests and would be most beneficial to your case.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-15-2015 02:45 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark