Domestic Violence and Child Visitation Rights

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

Domestic Violence and Child Visitation Rights

Stepping away from a violent relationship is never easy, especially when there are children involved. If you have children with your abusive partner, then he or she may have visitation rights to your children.

What If I Want Full Custody of Our Children?

You will need to file for a full child custody hearing as soon as possible. If the domestic violence is severe, you can request an emergency hearing to expedite the process. Although full custody is only temporary, you can re-request it once the term is over.

What If I Don’t Want to Give Visitation Rights?

At the child custody hearing, you may request the judge to deny visitation rights. But be prepared to present evidence why visitation is detrimental to your child.

My Former Partner Is Awarded Visitation, Now What?

Unfortunately, you cannot ignore court orders and prevent your former partner from seeing your children. Because safety is of the utmost concern here, it is best to tell someone about your whereabouts. Also, you should create a backup plan in case your former partner attempts to abuse you again.

But if your former partner does abuse you, verbally or physically, please record in detail. You may even file a police report. The key here is to collect enough evidence for another court hearing to revoke visitation rights or to issue a temporary restraining order.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

You may possibly need family law lawyer to concerning visitation rights in the context of domestic violence. Your lawyer will and file your case and will serve as your advocate.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-29-2014 04:21 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark