The State of Kansas has established the Kansas Department for Children and Families to provide certain services and information related to child support within that state.  The Department provides services related to:

  • application for child support services,
  • enforcement of child support orders,
  • genetic testing, and
  • child support payments and modifications

While the Kansas Department for Children and Families is a great resource, it is important to have an experienced and dedicated child support lawyer working with you during the process to ensure that your rights (and the rights of the child) are being protected.

Who Needs to Pay Child Support?

Under Kansas law, as with the law in most states, a non-custodial parent (the parent that does not have majority custody of the child) is required to make financial contributions to that child’s wellbeing – these contributions are known as child support.

How Do You Petition for Child Support?

Petitions for child support can be done through the Kansas Department for Children and Families (KDCF).  A petition means that you are asking the State of Kansas to require your child’s other parent to contribute financially to the upbringing of your child. Either the custodial parent or the non-custodial parent can apply to request payment or give payment.
To fill out an application, the applying parent must know as much about the other parent as possible. Including, but not limited to, social security number, date of birth, last known address, and any descriptive factors like height, weight, eye color, hair color, or distinctive markings like tattoos. They also want to know as much as possible about the other parent’s financial situation, including employment and financial history. 

A child support lawyer understands the process and can work with you to ensure that the appropriate amount of child support is being requested and received. Child support payments should not leave the paying parent unable to function in day-to-day life.

What If You Don’t Pay Child Support?

Failure to pay child support can have serious consequences.  Failing to make payments may lead to:

  • garnishment of income and wages;
  • imprisonment for contempt of court; and/or
  • restrictions on child visitation rights.

If you have questions about your child support obligations, then you should contact your local child support attorney for support.

How Can You Stop Paying Child Support?

There are several reasons why you would no longer be required to pay child support. Generally, you must get your child support order modified before you stop making payments. Reasons for no longer having to pay child support include:

  • you can prove (through genetic testing) that the child is not yours;
  • the child has become an adult and is no longer dependent on your financial support; and
  • you’ve lost your source of income (generally this is only temporary and a court will require to seek further employment).

Where Can You Find the Right Lawyer?

Contact your local Kansas child support lawyer today to discuss your rights and options under Kansas child support laws.