Child support requirements and regulations can vary from state to state. If the child moves from one state to another, the requirements for child support may change. While the states may have similar child support laws, it is important to know their variations to make sure that you do not face penalties.

Who Needs to Pay Child Support?

Child support is a monthly payment that one or both parents of a child pay to help with the cost of raising the child. In Nevada, it is the responsibility of both parents to cover the cost of raising the child, including education expenses, health care, and support payments. However, it is usually the non-custodial parent, or parent who lives with the child less than half the time, who pays child support. If the parents share joint or split custody, the parent with more income pays support. The purpose of requiring the higher earning parent to pay support is to provide the child with a greater standard of living.

How Do You Petition for Child Support?

Either parent can apply for child support. Nevada has a special division called the Child Support Enforcement (“CSE”) Program services. In order to get child support, you can fill out an application online. The application includes the parent’s name, address, social security number, and health insurance information. You must also complete information relating to the non-custodial parent, such as the parent’s name, address, employment information, and medical information. The child’s name, address and social security information is also disclosed.

Once the application is accepted, child support may be ordered by the courts or by CSE. The order specifies how often and how much a parent is to pay for child support.

What If You Don’t Pay Child Support?

CSE has a number of ways to enforce past-due child support payments, which include:

  • Take money from the paying parent’s paycheck. Notice must be given to the parent and the parent’s employer or payer of funds. CSE is also permitted to take unemployment, veteran and social security benefits.
  • Refer cases to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety so the paying parent’s driver’s license will be suspended. CSE can also arrange to have the paying parent’s occupational, sporting, recreational and professional licenses suspended unless and until child support is paid.
  • Intercept the paying parent’s federal tax returns and apply it to the overdue support payments.
  • Report the overdue support payments to consumer credit bureaus, thereby damaging the paying parent’s credit.
  • Garnish the paying parent’s bank account or file liens against property which won’t be released until the parent pays the overdue child support. This means the parent won’t be permitted to sell or transfer any property until he or she becomes current on the child support payments.
  • File an “order to show cause” or “contempt,” which requires the paying parent to go to court and explain to the judge why he or she has fallen behind on child support payments. Being held in contempt of court can result in jail time or entry of a judgement that can damage the paying parent’s credit score.
  • Refer the case for criminal prosecution.
  • If the paying parent has moved to Nevada from another state, CSE can enforce the other state’s child support judgment. If the parent moves from Nevada to another state, CSE can work with the other state to ensure that Nevada child support is still paid.

What Recourse Can the Other Parent Have if You Don’t Pay for Support?

If you’re having a hard time receiving child support, you can contact CSE to help you enforce child support. If they are slow to respond, you can also file suit against the paying parent. Family court judges can issue orders to help enforce and collect child support. Hiring an attorney can be the quickest way to enforce past due child support payments instead of waiting for CSE to help you enforce overdue support.

How Can You Stop Paying Child Support?

Child support ends at the age of majority. In Nevada, the age of majority is 18, unless the child is expected to graduate high school by age 19, in which case it’s 19 years old.

Child support automatically terminates at the age of majority unless otherwise specified by court order. If the child is mentally or physically disabled, the court may extend support beyond the age of majority. However, if the child is removed from disability status by court order, the child is automatically ineligible for child support.

Where Can You Find the Right Lawyer?

If you think your rights have been violated due to inadequate or unfair child support, then contact a Nevada child support lawyer today to find the right lawyer to help your case.