Immigration Sponsorship Laws

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

Immigration Sponsorship Laws

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident can sponsor someone from another country in a variety of ways. To sponsor a non-citizen means to bring or petition for the immigrant to come to the United States.

What Is Joint Sponsorship?

A sponsor is responsible for providing an affidavit of support to show they can financially support the immigrant. In some cases where the original sponsor cannot meet income sponsorship requirements, a second sponsor can act as a joint sponsor to fulfill the requirement.

Can I Sponsor a Relative?

Yes. A permanent resident or U.S. citizen can sponsor a family member, such as:

The sponsor must be willing to be totally financially responsible for the family member.

Can I Sponsor Someone Who Works for Me?

Employment sponsorship is allowed by the USCIS. The employer needs to provide proof that:

Also, an employer must know the specific employment visa they will need for their employee, such as:

How Do I Start the Immigration Sponsorship Process?

To start the process, you need to complete a Form I-864. This is also known as an Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A.

Should I Contact a Lawyer about Sponsoring an Immigrant?

If you want to sponsor an employee or family member, contact an immigration attorney. The attorney will explain sponsorship to you in greater detail and assist you in your part of the immigration process.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-17-2015 05:16 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark