Getting Tickets in Other States

Where You Need a Lawyer:

(This may not be the same place you live)

At No Cost! 

 What Is the Driver's License Compact?

The United States has 46 member states, and this arrangement is known as the Driver’s License Compact (DLC). There are a few important clauses in this agreement.

No matter how many states they pass through while driving, each person should have only one driver’s license. Only in the state in which you currently reside may you apply for and issue a driver’s license, and if you move permanently to another state, you must do so within 30 days of your old license being invalid.

An individual driver should only have one record preserved in the state where they currently reside. This implies that a motorist won’t have a unique record for each state she has ever visited. Your driving history will determine your ability to drive in both your home state and any other state.

Reporting traffic infractions and other information to other states: If you obtain a ticket or are involved in an accident while driving through another state, that state will notify your home state, which will record the incident(s) on your driving record.

The DLC essentially aims to make it simple for drivers to understand the repercussions of their driving behaviors no matter where they are in the country. You should anticipate that you will be treated as a driver in every state in accordance with this agreement, just as you are in your home state.

Does it Appear on My Driving Record in My Home State if I Receive a Ticket for a Moving Violation in Another State?

That is a very real possibility. The specific state’s laws truly determine this. For instance, unless the infraction would result in the suspension of your license, Vermont and North Carolina do not report tickets to your home state.

Even DLC non-member states can report out-of-state traffic offenders to their home state. For instance, while not being DLC members, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, and Wisconsin will nonetheless report tickets to your home state. Checking the traffic rules of the state in question is the best way to determine the exact repercussions of receiving a citation there.

Violations for Moving and Speeding

Most moving offenses, such as speeding, are not crimes, so jail time is generally not part of the punishment. Instead, they are merely violations. A speeding or other moving infraction conviction will only result in a fine and higher auto insurance costs. However, it won’t show up on a person’s criminal record; only their driving record will be affected. Of course, there are exceptions.

It’s critical to be aware of local regulations because there are some differences in the state, county, and city rules regarding driving crimes like speeding. The following, though, is illegal in some situations in every state:

  • Speeding: Of course, exceeding the posted speed limit is considered speeding;
  • Failure to Yield: Failing to yield means not allowing a vehicle with the legal right-of-way to move forward first;
  • Failure to Stop: Failure to Stop is when a driver does not stop at a halt sign or makes a “rolling stop,” which is when they slow down but do not entirely stop their vehicle;
  • Using Turn Signals to Signal a Turn or Lane Change: According to the legislation, drivers are required to use turn signals to indicate a turn or lane change;
  • Dangerous Left Turn: One instance of a perilous left turn would be turning in front of too much oncoming traffic;
  • Failure to Respect Traffic Lights: Running through a red light rather than stopping constitutes a failure to obey traffic lights;
  • Driving Carelessly: Careless driving refers to driving that shows disregard for the lives and property of other people. According to law enforcement organizations, distracted driving, such as texting or eating while driving, is the most prevalent type of reckless driving.

In rare circumstances, a traffic infraction may lead to a misdemeanor charge, which is a criminal crime punishable by up to a year in jail or a fine. Traffic violations may result in a misdemeanor criminal charge if they cause damage to people or property. The offense could be classified as a misdemeanor even if it simply causes a “near-miss.”

In some states, exceeding the speed limit by a predetermined amount of miles per hour can lead to a misdemeanor criminal penalty. A misdemeanor traffic offense is subject to challenge, just like any other criminal offense.

What Can a Lawyer Do for Me Regarding My Traffic Ticket?

A lawyer can help a person in a number of ways to potentially win a traffic ticket case:

  • Offer Guidance: Of course, the ultimate purpose is not to challenge a traffic ticket. One wants to contest the ticket. Before examining a person’s legal standing, a lawyer would compile all the relevant information. “Legal stance” refers to a client’s potential course of action should the ticket be upheld;
  • Discuss a Resolution: A lawyer may be able to negotiate less severe penalties with the prosecuting body, which is typically a district attorney’s office if the driver faces substantial consequences;
  • Represent the Client in Traffic Court: An attorney will make a better-prepared, more persuasive defense in court than a driver most likely could;
  • Dismiss the Ticket: A traffic ticket attorney may be able to convince the prosecuting agency to dismiss a ticket by arguing on the client’s side.

What Can I Do If I Get a Moving or Speeding Ticket?

A ticket normally includes the date and time of the court appearance as well as maybe the fine amount. Accepting a ticket does not equate to admitting guilt for the infraction.

In some areas, a driver who receives a moving infraction citation may choose to enroll in a driving course or traffic school. The speeding or moving infraction is expunged from the person’s record once the program is finished.

Following a violation, a person has a few options, including:

  • Admit responsibility: In most cases, entering a guilty plea entails admitting guilt for the moving or speeding infraction. No contest is another option that has the same result. The main distinction is that when someone enters a plea of no contest, they are not admitting guilt.
    • Instead, they state that they do not want to dispute the accusation. Whether someone enters a guilty or no contest plea, they must still pay the appropriate fine. In most cases, this entails mailing a check to the address listed on the citation. It could also be paid online;
  • Contest the ticket: One must enter a not-guilty plea to contest the ticket. The defendant must then object to the evidence used by the officer who issued the ticket in court. To do this, one would present witness accounts, images of the scene, and convincing defense of their innocence, arguing that the officer’s evidence is flawed and unreliable and that the individual did not commit the crime. The ticket typically provides instructions on how to request a court hearing if someone wants to contest the offense;
  • Hire a lawyer for traffic tickets: A person can employ a traffic attorney if they genuinely believe they did not commit the infraction. A lawyer can question the officer’s testimony or attempt to get the ticket dismissed. A lawyer could have the radar gun analyzed to determine whether it was correctly calibrated, for instance, if the cop used it to catch the person speeding. An adept attorney may be able to offer this kind of defense;

What Do I Need to Do to Contest a Moving or Speeding Infraction from Another State?

You might choose to consult with a traffic ticket lawyer with knowledge of traffic regulations. Your lawyer can inform you of your rights and assist you in deciding how to challenge the out-of-state ticket.

Law Library Disclaimer


16 people have successfully posted their cases

Find a Lawyer