Florida Commission on Human Relations

Locate a Local Employment Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Employment Law Issues:

What is the Florida Commission on Human Relations?

The Florida Commission on Human Relations is a state entity created for the purpose of resolving discrimination in various areas such as:

The Florida Legislature created the Commission, which has authority to conduct in-depth investigations for claims involving these issues.  The Commission may also act as a neutral mediator and can also prescribe legal remedies for violations.

How Can the Florida Commission Help Resolve Employment Law Disputes?

For most employment discrimination complaints, the Florida Commission on Human Relations will go through a systematic process.  This process aims to identify whether a violation has actually occurred, and to prescribe the appropriate legal remedy.  The Commission helps to resolve disputes through:

The Commission may prescribe remedies such as a damages award, or an injunction requiring the employer to adjust their employee policies.

How Do I File a Claim?

If you believe that you have an employment discrimination claim in the state of Florida, you can file directly with the Florida Commission on Human Relations.  This will usually require to write the agency or to visit them in person.  You will be required to describe the situation that you believe was discriminatory.  You may wish to provide initial proof or evidence in support of your claim.  Filing with the Commission usually requires the assistance of a qualified employment lawyer.

You should bear in mind that the Commission enforces strict filing deadlines.  For discrimination involving employment, housing, or public accommodations, you need to file within 1 year (365 days) of the alleged discrimination.  For whistle-blower cases, the filing is 60 days after the retaliation occurred. 

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help Filing With the Florida Commission on Human Relations?

Employment discrimination claims can often involve some complex legal issues.  If you need assistance in filing a claim, you may wish to hire a qualified Florida employment attorney.  Your lawyer will be able to assist you the necessary forms and paperwork for filing your claim.  Also, in the event that you need to attend a hearing or civil lawsuit proceedings, your attorney can provide you with representation.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-04-2013 03:59 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark