Find the right lawyer now

EEOC Administrative Procedures

Find a Local Employment Lawyer near You

EEOC Administrative Procedures for Discrimination Complaints

What is the EEOC?

The EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) is a federal agency tasked with combating discrimination in the workplace. The EEOC has the regulatory powers to enforce a variety of anti-discrimination laws, including the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. An employee cannot sue for discrimination in federal court without first going through the EEOC and/or its state counterparts.

The process below describes how to file a complaint with the EEOC and what to expect after that.

How Do I File a Complaint with the EEOC?

The EEOC process begins with the employee contacting an EEOC counselor within 45 days of the alleged discrimination. The counselor will ask about the details of the incident, and will be the first gateway through which the story of discrimination must pass.  The counselor will advise the person of his or her rights, and will try to informally resolve the matter. 

If the matter cannot be resolved within 30 days, a formal complaint must be lodged at an EEOC field or district office. Instructions on how to file with the EEOC can be found here. The charge must be filed within 180 days of the discrimination. The EEOC may make available Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to try to solve the problem.

If this does not work, the EEOC will analyze the complaint itself, to see if the law seems to support the charge. The EEOC may dismiss a claim if, from the given facts, there is no chance of discrimination.

The next step is for the EEOC to launch an investigation into the incident. This includes interviewing witnesses, requesting documents, and collecting any other evidence of discrimination. The EEOC may present an offer or solution to the employee.

If the employee does not accept the offer, he or she has the right to request an “administrative hearing,” which is like a trial. An EEOC administrative judge will make a decision as to what kind of compensation the person deserves. If the employee does not agree with the decision, he or she can appeal to the EEOC.

If the employee still does not agree, he or she has the right to file a “civil action” in a state or federal court. The employee must have a “right to sue” letter from the EEOC in order to proceed with this civil action. From here, the case follows the traditional process of civil procedure.

What if I Don’t Hear Back From the EEOC Even Though I Filed a Complaint?

By law, the EEOC must reply to a complaint within ninety (90) days of receiving the complaint. After the ninety days, the EEOC must investigate the complaint, dismiss it, or give the employee a letter permitting the employee to go to federal court to resolve the dispute.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Although the EEOC gives employees the right to sue in federal court and the EEOC can bring its own claims against employers, the EEOC itself does not represent employees. Only an experienced employment attorney can adequately represent an employee in these complex litigation matters.

Photo of page author Ken LaMance

, LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 03-25-2018 11:59 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.