A car accident attorney is a legal professional that represents clients who have claims involving auto accidents. In most cases, this is an attorney who is helping a person who has been injured in an accident and is seeking damages in relation to the accident. The attorney is often helping the victim to obtain legal remedies for:
- Costs associated with car accident injuries (such as hospital bill payments, costs of medication, physical therapy sessions, etc.)
- Other losses such as lost wages or lost earning capacity
- Punitive damages (often issued in cases that involve extreme recklessness, or intentional injuries)
Thus, a car accident attorney’s main task is to help research federal, state, and local laws to determine what types of damages and legal remedies are available for their client. In some cases they may also need to help defend their client against accusations of liability by the other party.
What Are Some Tips for Finding a Car Accident Attorney?
When finding a car accident attorney, it is important to keep some points in mind. For instance, you should:
- Always do a background check and credentials check for any legal professional you might work with
- Check to see if any other legal issues might be involved in your accident, such as drunk driving or product liability (defective product) issues
- Take note of any injuries you have experienced due to the accident, such as whiplash, neck injuries, and any other conditions
- Be sure to note if there are any issues with insurance, licensing, paperwork, registration, etc.
All these pieces of information can be useful when finding a car accident attorney. For instance, there are some attorneys who specialize in cases only involving whiplash and neck injuries. The more information you have about your own case, the easier it will be to connect with a lawyer.
What Should I Expect a Car Accident Attorney to Know?
Every car accident attorney should be familiar with the driving and accident laws for the city, county, and state that you’re in. Also, they should have knowledge and experience of various injuries that are typically associated with car accidents.
However, you should not expect any injury attorney to have extremely technical details about car models, makes, etc., as car accident attorneys are not mechanics. Rather, they are professionals who study the laws that apply to the operation of a car, the ownership of a car, and the liability of those involved in a car accident, among other laws. When preparing for a lawsuit, technical knowledge of cars or of certain injuries may require the intervention of an expert witness.
Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Car accidents can often involve many different legal subjects, and can also involve some serious injuries or property damage. It may be in your best interests to hire a qualified personal injury lawyer if you have any issues with a car accident. Your lawyer can provide you with legal advice and guidance, and can also represent you during court hearings and scheduled meetings.