Employee attorneys, or employment law attorneys, are lawyers who handle a wide range of employment law matters. They have various duties when representing their clients. In most cases, employee attorneys represent an employee who has had certain benefits, employment rights, or property interests violated during the course of employment. Often, this involves a lawsuit between the worker and their employer.
Employment law attorney duties may include:
- Providing clients with legal research on relevant employment law codes
- Negotiating with employers regarding benefits for the employee
- Holding property for safekeeping on behalf of the employee (usually to be used as evidence in an upcoming trial)
- Filing a complaint with a government agency such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (often necessary for some claims such as discrimination)
- Handling matters related to labor unions and union membership
- Verifying that an employee is certified for work in the U.S.
- Representing clients in court before a judge
- Various other duties
How Do I Find an Employment Law Attorney?
Employment law attorneys may be found through a variety of different methods. For instance, it may be possible to find employment law attorneys through:
- A phone book
- Attorney listings
- State and county bar association groups
- Word of mouth
- Online searches
Manually searching for a lawyer can sometimes be time-consuming and inaccurate. A more efficient search method may be to use a matching service such as LegalMatch. The website LegalMatch.com maintains an extensive online database of employment law attorneys in all 50 states.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for Help with Employment Issues?
If you need assistance with any legal claims or legal duties, you may need to hire a lawyer for help. A qualified employment lawyer in your area can provide you with the legal advice, information, and research to help you succeed with your claim. Also, if you have any specific concerns or inquiries, your attorney can address these in a manner that is accurate, efficient, and professional.