A business license or permit is sometimes required for individuals or businesses to operate. Business licenses exist at the local, state, and federal level. Licenses and permits cover a variety of purposes and activities, such as building construction, environmental considerations, and the ability to work as a licensed professional.

What Determines the Licenses I Need?

The type of licenses or permits you will need depends on several factors, including:

Professional Licenses in California

Depending on your profession, you may need to obtain a license to practice in California, even if you have been previously licensed in a different state. The licensing requirements vary by profession, and many are issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs. A few of the professions that require licenses include:

  • Healthcare Practitioners
  • Aestheticians and Cosmetologists
  • Teachers
  • Real Estate Brokers and Agents
  • Security Guards
  • Lawyers

Do I Need Any Local Permits?

Local permits are dependent on city and county requirements and ordinances. Local licenses and permits are common for items such as:

  • Construction or renovation
  • Health permits
  • Zoning permits
  • Local business licenses

License and permit requirements vary, so to be sure, you should check with your local authorities.

How Can I Find Out If I Need a Professional License?

You should always check with your local authorities in the city or county where you plan to work or operate a business. Additionally, CalGold provides an easy way to look up permit information and contacts based on your county and industry.

Should I Consult an Business Attorney in California?

Applying for business licenses and permits may not require the help of an attorney. However, if you are setting up a new business, an experienced business attorney can help provide guidance on permits, as well as other business organization issues. If you have been charged with criminal or civil penalties for a failure to have a proper permit, an attorney can help defend you.