Hiring a Lawyer for a Personal Injury Claim
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
What Is a Personal Injury Attorney?
A personal injury lawyer represents people who have been injured as a result of the wrongdoing of another person, government agency, company, or other entity. A personal injury lawyer will represent your interests and do everything that is legally possible to get you the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering.
A personal injury attorney knows how to negotiate with the other party and the insurance company to come to a reasonable settlement offer for you.
What Is the Best Way to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
Once you have decided to move forward with your personal injury claim, you will need to hire an attorney to handle the case.
Your personal injury attorney will advance your legal claim by:
- Determining how much your claim is worth
- Documenting your injuries
- Notifying the responsible parties (defendants)
- Communicating with third-parties, such as insurance companies and witnesses
- Court filings and appearances
Hiring a personal injury attorney will greatly increase your likelihood of receiving a damages award or settling your case. Most personal injury cases are handled under contingency fee agreements, where payment is not required until after the court has awarded monetary damages.
What Should I Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney?
When hiring a lawyer, you should seek out a licensed professional who is:
- Familiar with personal injury law in your state
- Experienced working personal injury cases
- Experienced working on the plaintiff side of personal injury cases
- Familiar with the court system in your area
- Able to represent your best interests
Remember, most lawyers do not charge for an initial consultation, so the best way to decide whether a personal injury attorney is right for you is to set up a meeting. The attorney will listen to your story, review the facts, and decide whether or not to take the case.
What Does a Personal Injury Attorney Do?
When hiring personal injury attorney, you must look for someone who is experienced in the case and has handled similar cases such as yours in the past. This way the attorney knows what to expect during the process and what steps to take to get you the most compensation that you can get. After you hire a personal injury attorney to represent you in your case, the personal injury attorney will do the following for you:
- Interview you and other witnesses/parties to build your case.
- Prepare for and conduct depositions of you and other witnesses/parties to be used as testimonial evidence.
- Handle all correspondence with the defense lawyers and the court.
- File motions, briefs, and other documents with the court.
- Hire experts to testify about any technical or medical issues that concern your case.
- Engage in settlement negotiations with the defense attorneys.
- Present your case before a jury and/or judge.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Attorney Cost?
Personal injury attorneys usually charge clients based on a contingency fee basis, meaning that the client does not pay the attorney anything for the legal services unless and until the attorney wins or settles the case and the client gets compensation for his or her injuries.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Claim?
You should see a personal injury lawyer right away. It may be in your best interests to hire a personal injury lawyer in your area if you need help filing a lawsuit. Your attorney can help represent you in court and during negotiations.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-02-2016 03:10 PM PST
Link to this page