Workers Compensation Coverage Lawyers

Locate a Local Employment Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Employment Law Issues:

Who Is Not Covered By Workers Compensation?

Workers compensation policies cover most jobs and positions, though there are certain employees who cannot recover if they are injured at their job. These might include, but are not limited to, the following:

Can I Get Workers Compensation Benefits If I Have Already Recovered Actual Damages for My Injury?

Usually, you can not recover workers compensation if you have already taken your employer to court and recovered damages for your injury. Workers compensation is designed to bypass the process of judicial review and enable employees to recover money for injuries that they suffered on the job without having to fight their employer in court.  

Most states, however, will allow you to recover both your workers compensation benefits as well as any damages arising out of a personal injury lawsuit, only if your employer engaged in willful, deliberate, or intentional conduct and that your injury was a direct result of that conduct. 

What Types of Injuries Are Not Covered by Workers Compensation?

There are specific job-related injuries that are not covered by most workers' compensation plans. Depending upon the laws of the state in which you live, these may or may not include:

What Types of Employment Practices Are Not Covered?

Workers compensation covers a wide array of employment fields, but often does not extend to claims that are brought against an employer based on the practices of the employer herself, which might include claims for discrimination, harassment or wrongful termination.  

Should I Contact an Attorney Who Specializes in Workers Compensation?

If you are injured on the job, you should first file a workers compensation claim. If you are denied complete relief there, but believe you are entitled to it, an employment lawyer specializing in workers compensation will be able to advise you of your rights and of any and all relief to which you are entitled. 

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-03-2015 04:50 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark