In most states, if you are an injured worker, part of your workers compensation is medical treatment for your injuries.  In most states you are allowed to seek many medical treatments that are reasonably required to cure or relieve your injury.  The types of medical treatment can include:

  • Surgery,
  • General physician consultations,
  • Acupuncture,
  • Chiropractic,
  • Hospital treatment,
  • Nursing,
  • Medicines,
  • Medical and surgical supplies, or
  • Orthodox and prosthetic devices and service.

In some states, there is a maximum amount of allowable visits to chiropractors, acupuncturists, or occupational and physical therapists.

Who Picks my Medical Treatment Provider for my Workers’ Compensation Injury?

In some states, you must first go through a medical treatment provider set out in a network as established by your employer or their insurance company before you find your own provider.  In other states you are not subject to such restrictions.  In most states, you will eventually be able to seek your own medical treatment provider.  This is subject to some limitations, such as geographical area and the type of medical treatment outlined above.

How Much of my Medical Treatment Expenses are Covered ?

Generally speaking, all of your medical expenses are covered by you employer if you are injured at work.  Most employers have workers compensation insurance to pay the costs involved.  In some states, you may even be compensated for your travel expenses from home to a medical treatment provider.  In most states, if your employer is negligent or refuses to pay for your medical treatment, they will be liable for your expenses.

Do I Need an Attorney for my Medical Treatment and Workers’ Compensation Issue?

If you have been injured at work, are trying to get medical treatment for your injuries, or are experiencing difficulty in receiving compensation for your medical treatment expenses, it is highly recommended for you to contact an workers compensation attorney.  Only they will be able to explain the issues and help protect your rights.