Find the right lawyer now

Washington State Second Degree Malicious Mischief Lawyers

Find a Local Criminal Lawyer near You

What is Malicious Mischief?

Malicious mischief is a non-violent crime. Non-violent crimes don’t involve injury to a victim or use of force, instead they involve some type of economic loss or property damage to a victim. In Washington State, malicious mischief in the first degree involves physical property damage that exceeds $5,000. It is a class B felony punishable by 10 years in prison and/ or $20,000 in fines. But malicious mischief also has two lesser offenses: second and third degrees. 

What is Malicious Mischief in the Second Degree? 

In Washington State, a person is guilty of second degree malicious mischief if they knowingly and maliciously caused property damage exceeding $750. They are also guilty if they create a substantial risk of impairing or interrupting public services, such as:

  • Physically tamper or damage an emergency vehicle
  • Physically damage or tamper with state property
  • Physically damage or tamper with public utilities, public transportation, or methods of communication

Is the “Criminal Mischief” and “Malicious Mischief” the Same Crime? 

Yes, it’s the same crime.  Criminal mischief involves intentionally damaging property belonging to someone else. Washington State uses the term “malicious mischief” instead of "criminal mischief.”

Is it Considered Criminal/Malicious Mischief to Impair or Meddle with Someone’s Property? 

No. Malicious mischief is more detailed. A defendant must be have:

  • Destroyed property
  • Damage property
  • Alter property from its original form
  • Deface property 

If the defendant only meddled or impaired property, then it will be considered criminal tampering. 

If I Am Convicted of Malicious Mischief in the Second Degree, Will I Go to Prison? 

It’s possible. In Washington State, malicious mischief is charged as a class C felony. It’s punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000. S it is possible for a judge to sentence the defendant to only pay the $10,000 fine. 

Can a Criminal Lawyer Help Me with My Case?

Yes, a criminal lawyer will help you resolve this case. Contact a lawyer immediately.

Photo of page author Taelonnda Sewell

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 08-03-2016 10:36 AM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.