Find the right lawyer now

Sharing Home Title after a Divorce

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

How is Title Held During Marriage?

When a couple buys a property during marriage, they have to determine how they want to hold title. A couple can hold title as tenants in common. Each tenant in common owns a specified interest in the property and it need not be equal. Each tenant can will his or her share to whomever he or she wishes.

The most common way for married couples to hold title is as joint tenants with the right of survivorship. When title is held in this manner, all co-owners must take title at the same time. All co-owners own equal shares and the survivor co-owner winds up owning the entire property. In other words, after a joint tenant dies, the survivor joint tenant(s) receives the deceased’s share. In some states, when husband and wife use this method, it is called tenancy by the entireties.

Husbands and wives that acquire property in community property states, such as Arizona, California, Louisiana, and Texas, can take title as community property. Each spouse owns half the property which can be passed by the spouse’s will either to the survivor spouse or someone else. Any property acquired during marriage can be considered community property.

Many other married couples hold title in a revocable living trust.

Why Is Changing Ownership During Divorce Important?

When “forever” doesn’t last as long as anticipated, it is essential to change joint ownership. Most likely, you held title to your home shared by your ex-spouse as joint tenants with the right of survivorship. Chances are you would not want your ex-spouse to retain full ownership of your home should you pass away first.

There can also be problems with continuing to share the mortgage on the home along with title. If one ex-spouse acquires negative judgments or outstanding loans, it’s possible that the only remaining asset your ex-spouse has with any value is co-ownership of your home. In that regard, creditors may place liens on your home until your ex-spouse pays off the debt. A creditor is permitted to put a lien on your house to recover payment on a debt as long as the creditor obtains a court judgment first.

If your ex-spouse’s financial troubles lead to him or her filing for bankruptcy, you may be left paying the entire mortgage on your own. For some, the financial burden is too much, and this can lead to foreclosure on your home. Foreclosure can ruin your credit and make it impossible to buy a home in the future.

How Do You Sever Title?

Spouses that break up amicably can come to an agreement during divorce so that one party retains ownership of the property and title is transferred into that party’s name. The ex-spouse receives compensation as a buy-out. However, most divorces do not end amicably.

If you and your ex-spouse hold title as joint tenants, one party can prepare a Notice of Severance. After the document is signed and sent to the ex-spouse, it has the effect of severing the joint tenancy and converting it into tenancy in common.

With both joint tenancy and tenancy in common, title can also be severed by a partition act. A partition action is a lawsuit in which one co-owner asks the court to divide a piece of real estate equally between the owners or to sell the property. In order to start the partition process, one party must file a Notice for Partition. Each co-owner receives a portion of the property.

Should I Consult a Lawyer?

If you are facing divorce and considering sharing title to a home post-divorce, a family law attorney can help you evaluate whether this is right for your situation. Additionally, if you currently share title with a former spouse and would like to change this, an attorney can help.

Photo of page author Erin Chan Adams

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 04-24-2018 12:55 AM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.