In an immigration context, green card status refers to a person’s permanent residency status. A green card is actually the legal document that verifies a person’s lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. Green cards are issued for persons whose immigrations status has been adjusted from temporary resident to permanent resident.

What Are Some Privileges Associated with Green Card Holders?

Permanent residents, also known as green card holders, are granted various rights and privileges, including:

  • Ability to live permanently in the U.S.
  • Ability to work legally in the U.S.
  • Petition spouses and certain relatives to migrate to the United States
  • Own property within the U.S.
  • Obtain a state driver’s license and state ID
  • Join certain branches of the military

In addition, the green card holder has various other rights, such as the right to own a firearm, the right to travel outside of the U.S. and re-enter, and the right to attend various educational institutions.

What Is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of status refers to the process of changing one’s status from temporary residency to permanent residency. This term is often associated with marriage green card immigration. For instance, the immigrant may travel to the United States under a conditional, temporary visa. This trip may be for the purpose of marrying the U.S. citizen who has petitioned them. After the marriage, the person may need to adjust their status from conditional to permanent status. This involves various applications, fees, and other requirements.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with Green Card Status Requirements?

Green card issues can often involve some very complex legal requirements. These can sometimes be difficult to understand without the assistance of a lawyer. You may need to hire a immigration lawyer if you or a loved one of yours needs assistance with green card and other immigration requirements. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice for your situation. Also, if you need to attend an immigration law hearing, your lawyer can provide you with legal assistance and representation during the process.