Misrepresentation of Age Lawyers

Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Defense and Criminal Law Issues

What Is Misrepresentation of Age?

Misrepresentation of age occurs when a person lies or otherwise deceives another person regarding their age in order to obtain a benefit or rights that would otherwise be denied to them. These types of violations are usually committed by minors, so the charges often read “Misrepresentation of Age by a Minor.” However, misrepresentation of age can occur in many other settings and may be committed by many different persons or groups of persons.  

Examples of Misrepresentation of Age

Misrepresentation of age can occur in many settings. These can include:

There are many other instances in which a person can misrepresent their age, such as in relation to social security, retirement, marriage, and other issues.

What Are the Penalties for Misrepresentation of Age?

Penalties for misrepresenting one’s age can result in some serious legal penalties. These may include:

Misdemeanor charges may result in up to a year of jail time and/or criminal fines. Since many of these cases involve minors, the defendant may often face consequences for minors such as time in a juvenile detention or community service programs.

Should I Hire a Lawyer for Help with Misrepresentation of Age Charges?

Misrepresenting one’s age can lead to some serious legal issues. You may need to hire a qualified criminal lawyer if you need help with misrepresentation charges. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice on how to approach your case. Also, your lawyer will be able to advise you regarding possible legal defenses, and can represent you during court meetings and hearings.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 06-11-2014 09:53 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark