Minimum Drinking Age Laws

Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Defense and Criminal Law Issues

What Is the Minimum Drinking Age?

The alcohol and liquor laws of each state in the U.S. set the minimum drinking age as 21 years of age. A person under the age of 21 who is caught drinking can usually be subjected to legal consequences. Underage drinking consequences typically include misdemeanor charges, which are punishable by fines and a short jail time. There can be exceptions to underage drinking depending on the state.

Exceptions to the Minimum Drinking Age

Some states may allow exceptions to minimum drinking age laws. There are 8 different types of situations that may present exceptions in which an underage person can consume alcohol. These are:

Regardless of these exceptions, all other drinking laws apply to minors, such as sales of alcohol and DUI laws.

Do I Need a Lawyer for an Issue with Underage Drinking?

Underage drinking violations can lead to some very serious legal penalties and consequences. You may need to hire a lawyer if you or a loved one needs assistance with the laws in your state. Your attorney can provide you with advice for your case and can also represent you if you need to appear in court. A qualified attorney in your area can advise you of your legal rights according to the rules in your jurisdiction.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 06-10-2014 03:44 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark