HUD Home Lawyers

Locate a Local Real Estate Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Real Estate Issues

What Is an HUD Home?

HUD homes are residential properties that have been acquired by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These are usually 1 to 4 unit residences that were acquired as a result of foreclosure on certain types of mortgages, specifically FHA-insured mortgages. In such cases, the HUD sells the property in order to recover some losses on the foreclosed property.

Many people seek out HUD homes because they are sometimes associated with special reduced sale prices. They are often made available at good rates to certain persons such as teachers, firefighters, medical personnel, law enforcement officers, and others. They may however be associated with certain types of legal issues and considerations.

What Are Some Legal Disputes Associated with HUD Homes?

Since HUD homes are the result of foreclosure processes, they can be subject to certain considerations. Buyers should consider various legal issues and disputes such as:

Lastly, HUD homes are first offered only to persons who will be using the home as a residence. After the initial offering period, the property may be offered to persons seeking to purchase the home for investment purposes.

What If I Have a Dispute over an HUD Home?

HUD homes are highly regulated by local and state laws. Some disputes may be resolved through a review by the housing authorities. For instance, if there is a dispute over an application, the claim may be subject to further review by the HUD or other similar agency. More serious disputes and claims of a personal nature may require additional legal reviewing and analysis. In some cases, a lawsuit may be necessary, especially in cases of fraud or misrepresentation.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with an HUD Home?

HUD homes can be associated with certain advantages, especially when it comes to pricing rates. However, they must be approached with caution as they can often be the subject of various legal issues. You may need to hire a real estate lawyer if you need help with an HUD home. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and guidance when it comes to dealing with HUD properties. Also, if you need to file a lawsuit or appear in court, your attorney can provide you with representation during those processes.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-09-2015 04:04 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark