Full Custody Papers

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

What Are Full Custody Papers?

When someone mentions the term "custody papers." they’re usually referring to a court order that governs the custody arrangement between parents or guardians. This often set by the court in connection with a divorce or legal separation proceeding, although they can be requested in a separate hearing.

Full custody generally means that one parent is mainly responsible for the care and upbringing of a child or children. So, full custody papers are the documents issued by a court that grant one parent majority custody. In a full custody arrangement, the other parent (the non-custodial parent) is often granted limited visitation rights or limited custody depending on the situation.

Can a Full Custody Order Be Modified?

Sure- many custody orders actually need to be adjusted or modified at some point in the future. This can be due to factors such as:

In addition, full custody orders can often be changed to reflect major changes in custody. For instance, the order may be changed from full custody to a shared or joint custody arrangement. Or, full custody might be transferred to another person. All changes must be formally requested and approved by a judge before the parties begin following them.

What If Custody Papers Are Violated?

A violation of child custody orders can result in some strict legal consequences. These may include: contempt orders, fines, fewer custody rights, and other similar effects. In addition, violating full custody orders can affect future hearings and orders. Thus, it’s important for all parties to follow the custody orders at all times.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with Full Custody Issues?

Full custody and other types of child custody arrangements require careful consideration of all the different factors involved. It’s in your best interest to obtain and work with a qualified family law attorney. A child custody lawyer in your area will be able to provide you with legal advice for your case. Custody issues can often be complex, but your lawyer will be able to assist you with any questions or concerns you might have.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-27-2014 12:35 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark