Employer Defamation against a Former Employee

Locate a Local Employment Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Employment Law Issues:

Employer Defamation against a Former Employee

Employers who offer references to current and former employees may be exposed to liability for a wide range of things. One example is when an employer injures a former employee's reputation by making false statements about that employee. The employee may then sue the employer for defamation.

How to Establish a Case of Defamation against a Former Employer

There are five elements that must be proven by the employee to succeed. They are:

What Are Some Examples of Defamation by an Employer?

Although you will want to consult with an attorney to determine whether your exact situation is sufficient to support a cause of action for defamation, a few examples of possible situations that are likely to result in a successful claim are:

Do I Need an Attorney?

Your best option is to contact an employment lawyer. Your attorney can advise you of your rights and let you know if you may be entitled to collect compensation in a lawsuit against your former employer.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 11-12-2014 04:37 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark