In Washington, the father’s name is not added to the birth certificate if the father is not married to the mother at the time the baby is born. Thus, in order to add the father’s name to the birth certificate, the parents must fill out a Paternity Acknowledgment form.

How to Get a Paternity Acknowledgment Form?

The Paternity Acknowledgment form is a multi-colored and carbon-based form. The parents must request the form from Washington State Center for Health Statistics. The form is not downloadable.

How to Fill out the Paternity Acknowledgment Form?

Both parents must consent to the adding of the father’s name. Furthermore, the parents must appear before a notary public and have the form notarized.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

 If a parent refuses to add the father’s name or a party needs help filling out the form, then he should consult an experienced Washington family lawyer. The lawyer can help and advise on all of your legal questions concerning your child’s birth certificate and your father’s rights.