Personal Injury Terms and Procedures
What are Some Common Personal Injury Terms and Procedures?
Personal injury cases share most of the same terminology as the rest of civil law cases. Some common personal injury terms include:
- Pain and suffering
- Deposition subpoena
- Punitive damages
- Vicarious liability
- Service of process
Likewise, the procedures for personal injury cases follow a similar path as the rest of civil litigation. The most frequent steps of a personal injury case include:
- Determining how much your claim is worth
- Hiring a lawyer
- Initiiating a personal injury lawsuit
- Civil discovery
- Settling your case
- Proving your case at trial by a preponderance of the evidence
- Collecting on your court judgment
There are also many elements unique to a personal injury case. These include:
- Personal injury statutes of limitaton by state
- Dealing with an insurance company
- Contribution and Indemnity
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 09-23-2013 11:16 AM PDT
Did you find this article informative?