Family and Medical Leave Act Lawyers

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Locate a Local Employment Lawyer

Most Common Employment Law Issues:

What are my Responsibilities as an Employee?
As an employee covered under the FMLA, you must:

How do I file a complaint under the FMLA?
A complaint under the FMLA must be filed by the employee or his representative within two years of the date of the last violation of the Act by the employer. However, if it can be shown that the action taken by the employer was willful, the time to file will be extended to three years.  The complaint may be filed in person, by writing, or by telephone, with the Secretary of Labor by contacting the nearest office of the Wage and Hour Division of the Employment Standards Administration, U. S. Department of Labor.  The U.S. Department of Labor will review the merits of the complaint, and if appropriate, will resolve the complaint through discussions with the employer.  

What can I recover in an FMLA Lawsuit?
An employee may choose to file a lawsuit instead of a complaint with the Secretary of Labor.  Where this is the case, there is no requirement that the Secretary of Labor be notified before a lawsuit is filed.  An employee may recover from the employer:

The employee may also obtain equitable remedies such as reinstatement or promotion.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 05-06-2014 11:37 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Family and Medical Leave Act Lawyers,  medical leave act,medical leave,leave,law,legal