Who Can I Claim as a Dependent?

Locate a Local Finance Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Finance Law Issues:

Why Should I Claim Someone as a Dependent?

Claiming someone as a dependent is a type of tax exemption that can save you can thousands of dollars on your taxes. For 2015, a dependent can save you up to $3,900. If you have multiple dependents this can add up to a significant amount of money.

Additionally, you can write off many expenses associated with having a dependent, such as childcare expenses, medical expenses, and other itemized deductions involving children or family issues.

Who Can Be a Dependent?

The IRS has rules that cover almost every single type of dependent, but they can generally be broken down into two categories: Children and Others.


If you have a child, you may be able to claim them as a dependent if they meet the following requirements:


Children are not the only people you can claim as a dependent. Others who may qualify include parents and even people not even related to you, such as an unmarried partner, if they meet the following requirements:

Do I Need an Attorney?

It is unsurprising that many people need professional help when it comes to doing their taxes, since tax law can be very complicated and confusing. As there are many different exceptions and exemptions, it is best to consult with a tax attorney or a CPA, in order to see if you can claim someone as a dependent. Luckily, you can claim the cost of consulting with someone about preparing your taxes as a tax deduction!

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-01-2015 03:52 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark