Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions

Locate a Local Finance Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Finance Law Issues:

What Are Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions?

Miscellaneous itemized deductions are certain non-business expenses that individual taxpayers are allowed to deduct from their taxableincome. Most miscellaneous itemized deductions are subject to a 2% adjusted gross income limitation. This means that the taxpayer may only deduct the amount of expenses that exceed 2% of the taxpayer's adjusted gross income.

What Are Examples of These Deductions?

Some of the more common miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% AGI limitation include:

Union Dues

Unless the taxpayer is self-employed, union fees, initiation fees, and professional dues are deductible subject to the 2% limitation. Self-employed individuals may deduct these expenses as business expenses.

Job-Searching Costs

An individual taxpayer may deduct the cost of finding a job only in the same profession that the taxpayer currently works in or has most recently worked in. Thus, a recent college graduate trying to find his first job or an individual making a career change will not be able to deduct job searching costs. Typical job searching costs include printing and mailing of resume, employment agency fees, and travel and transportation expenses associated with the job search.

Education and Related Expenses

An individual taxpayer may deduct his education expenses if:

Education expenses are not deductible if:

Traveling as a form of general education (ex: an architect decides to travel around the world to observe buildings in different countries) is usually not deductible.

Uniforms and Special Clothing

Uniforms and special clothing are not deductible unless they meet the following three requirements:

  1. The clothing is required as a condition for employment,
  2. The clothing is not adaptable for normal everyday use, and
  3. The clothing is not actually used by the taxpayer for everyday use.

Even the cost of maintaining this type of clothing is deductible, including dry-cleaning expenses and tailoring/repair expenses.

Expenses for Production of Income

An individual taxpayer is allowed to deduct expenses paid or incurred for the production of income or for the management, conservation, or maintenance of property held for the production of income.

Examples of expenses that fall under this category include:

Expenses Connected with the Determination of Tax

Expenses incurred to in connection with the determination, collection, and refund of any tax is deductible. These expenses include:

Can an Attorney Help Me with My Tax Problems?

Both state and federal tax laws are complicated and difficult to understand. A tax attorney knows the relevant tax laws and can explain to you how they apply to your situation. If you are unsure about the characterization of your expenses or you need someone to represent you before the IRS, a tax attorney can help you.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-21-2014 02:57 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark