Military SCRA Protections Lawyers

Locate a Local Finance Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Finance Law Issues:

What Are Military SCRA Protections?

Special provisions have been made by the government under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act of 2003 (SCRA). These provisions are intended to support those persons who are actively protecting the country by participating in military activities.

What Does the SCRA Do?

The purpose of the SCRA is to enable servicemembers to focus their energy on the defense of the United States and not be distracted by unrelated personal problems. Therefore, during your military service, the SCRA provides for the temporary suspension of judicial and administrative proceedings and transactions that may adversely affect you such as wage garnishments. Additionally, the SCRA allows for forbearance and reduced interest on certain financial obligations that you incurred prior to beginning your military service. Furthermore, it restricts default judgments against you and restricts the ability of landlords to evict you or your dependents. The SCRA can also help you with issues of bankruptcy.

Who Is Eligible Under the SCRA?

The SCRA provides protection to: 

To be protected under the SCRA, you generally need to be able to show that your military service has had a "material effect" on the legal or financial matter that is involved. You are usually protected under the SCRA until 90 days after you have been discharged from active duty or you have died while still serving on active duty.

How Do I Get Protection under the SCRA?

You must request protection during your military duty or within 30 to 180 days after your military service ends, depending on the protection being requested. Usually, SCRA protections are not automatic, meaning that you must do some action for the Act to be invoked. For example, to use SCRA to obtain a reduction of your pre-active duty mortgage or credit card interest rates, you should send a written request and a copy of your mobilization orders to your lender/creditor. 

Do I Need a Lawyer to Get SCRA Benefits?

If you believe you are entitled to benefits under the SCRA and you have been denied these benefits, consulting an attorney may be beneficial to you. An attorney will be able to determine your rights and ensure that these rights are protected under the SCRA.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 09-04-2014 10:27 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark