Financial law regulates several sectors including insurance, investments, and capital marketing. Simply put, a financial lawyer is an attorney who assists with financial matters. Sometimes financial lawyers specialize in representing clients in certain categories, such as real estate finance, banking, taxes, etc.
Financial lawyers perform a wide range of tasks. A skilled financial lawyer will be adept at handling one or all of the following:
- Banking Matters: A financial lawyer specialized in this field can assist you with various banking documents such as loans, mortgages, and bank disputes;
- Consumer and Business Bankruptcy Claims: Bankruptcy matters are extremely complex. A skilled financial lawyer that specializes in bankruptcy claims will help you understand your rights, while also protecting you or your company’s assets throughout the entirety of the bankruptcy proceedings;
- Debts and Collections: A financial lawyer specializing in debts and collections can help you understand the acceptable debt collection practices in your jurisdiction under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), as well as help you work out a settlement for your outstanding debts.
- Insurance and Annuities: An experienced financial lawyer who specializes in insurance and annuities will help you understand exactly what your annuity contract means for you and your loved ones. Additionally, an annuities attorney will know your state’s laws and help you deal with the insurance companies;
- Taxes: Tax law is an extremely complex matter. A tax lawyer will assist you in understanding how the various tax laws affect you or your company’s personal taxes and assist you throughout the entire tax process;
- Trusts, Wills, and Other Estate Matters: Financial lawyers that specialize in estate matters will be adept at understanding the various, and ever changing, estate laws and help you navigate through your estate planning in order to ensure your legal documents are validly executed; or
- Securities Law: Financial lawyers who specialize in securities law will understand the multiple federal laws and regulations that govern the sale, purchase, and creation of security interests.
Finding a competent, qualified financial lawyer can be difficult, but there are essentially three steps to finding one that is well suited to handling your financial legal concerns:
- Identify Which Legal Issues You Are Involved in That Require a Financial Lawyer: As previously stated, some financial lawyers specialize in certain areas of financial law, so it is important to be as specific as possible when speaking to a lawyer to ensure that they can take your case.
- For example, some financial lawyers only handle tax cases, so they would be unable to assist you in your bankruptcy case. Be sure to provide all relevant facts and details about the legal financial issues you are facing so as to give the lawyer as much information as possible. The financial lawyer should then be able to determine if they will be able to help you or refer you to a colleague;
- Find Financial Lawyers That Match Your Needs and Research Them: Once you’ve identified exactly what type of legal help you need, seek out lawyers that specialize in that area.
- For example, if you are needing a bankruptcy attorney, use those terms in an internet search, or look them up in your local phone book. Once you have some names and phone numbers, do some research on each potential attorney.
- Again, an internet search is going to be your best option for this. You will want to know more about their case history, their background, and other things of that nature. Some websites operate like a digital phone book, providing only names and contact information, whereas others will provide background information and reviews; and
- Contact the Lawyer(s) You Are Interested In: Now that you’ve identified your legal needs and have done some research on lawyers available to you, you will want to contact them, so as to speak to them personally and verify that they are a good fit. You might want to research and contact a few different lawyers so you can compare them before deciding on one.
Before you start, make sure you can answer give your lawyer the information they need. For example, what is the legal issue? Is it a bankruptcy concern, and is there another concern on top of bankruptcy? Do you have all of the relevant documents on hand, if not then what is missing? Is it possible for you to get ahold of this information?
The more you can tell your attorney in the beginning, about your problem, concerns, and ultimate goal, then they are better equipped to help. Finding important tax documents and having everything on hand can save the attorney time, which will save you money.
To maximize the amount of help you can receive from your lawyer, whether it’s a financial lawyer or any other type of professional, make sure that you have all of the documents and information on hand so they can start on your issue right away.
The internet is the easiest and fastest way to find a financial lawyer that will suit your needs. However, it is important to utilize the right websites for the best results. Legalmatch.com is going to be a powerful tool in your search for a financial lawyer. Because of the unique client and attorney matching service, which is free of charge, you can be sure that you will find the best fit for your case in as little time as possible.
Using Legalmatch to find a financial lawyer is a fairly simple process: you fill out the contact form online, and a financial lawyer in your area will respond to your case as soon as they can. We also give our users a chance to review attorney profiles if you wish to contact someone yourself. Your case posting is viewable by several qualified and experienced financial lawyers in your area. This system maximizes your ability to find the best fit for your legal financial needs.