Fence Laws and Neighbors

Where You Need a Lawyer:

(This may not be the same place you live)

At No Cost! 

 How High Can I Build a Fence?

Fence height restrictions depend on local fence laws, regulations, and neighborhood covenants in your specific area. However, here are some general guidelines to help you understand what factors may influence fence height restrictions:

  1. Residential vs. commercial properties: Residential properties typically have more stringent fence height restrictions than commercial properties. In many residential areas, front yard fences may be limited to 3-4 feet in height, while backyard fences could be allowed up to 6-8 feet. Commercial properties might have different rules based on their zoning and intended use.
  2. Local laws and regulations: Fence height restrictions can be determined by local laws and regulations, which may vary from one municipality to another. To find out the specific restrictions for your property, consult your local government’s planning or building department. They can provide you with the necessary information and permits to build a fence.
  3. Neighborhood covenants: If your property is part of a homeowners association (HOA) or falls under specific neighborhood covenants, there may be additional rules and restrictions related to fence height and design. Check your neighborhood’s covenants or consult your HOA for information on any additional rules that may apply.
  4. Visibility and safety: In some cases, fence height restrictions may be implemented to maintain visibility at street intersections and ensure the safety of pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers. These restrictions typically apply to fences built close to street corners or property lines that border public roads.
  5. Property line disputes: To avoid potential property line disputes, it’s essential to clearly understand your property boundaries before building a fence. You may need to consult a professional surveyor to help determine your property lines accurately.

Remember to research your local laws and regulations, consult with your local planning or building department, and communicate with your neighbors before building a fence to ensure you comply with any applicable restrictions and maintain good neighborly relations.

What Can I Do If My Neighbor Is Building a Fence Too High?

If your neighbor is building a fence that you believe is too high, there are steps you can take to address the issue. Before taking any action, make sure you’re familiar with your local fence laws, regulations, and any neighborhood covenants that might apply:

As a first step, try having a polite conversation with your neighbor to discuss your concerns. They might not be aware of the local regulations and could be willing to modify their plans accordingly.

Make sure you’re familiar with your local fence height restrictions and other relevant regulations. You can find this information through your local government’s planning or building department.

If talking to your neighbor doesn’t resolve the issue, consider seeking professional help. A mediator can help facilitate a resolution by assisting both parties in finding a mutually agreeable solution. Alternatively, you can consult an attorney to review your legal options and rights, especially if the fence violates local laws or regulations.

If you’re confident that your neighbor’s fence violates local laws or regulations, you can report the violation to your local planning or building department. They can investigate the matter and take appropriate action if needed.

Spite fences” are typically tall and unsightly fences built with the primary purpose of annoying or causing discomfort to a neighbor. The legality of spite fences varies depending on the jurisdiction. In some areas, they may be considered a private nuisance, and the affected neighbor may have legal grounds to seek their removal or modification.

However, proving that a fence is a “spite fence” can be difficult, as it often requires demonstrating malicious intent on the part of the builder.

Additionally, if the fence complies with local height and design restrictions, it might be more challenging to argue that it’s illegal or a nuisance. Consult a local attorney familiar with fence laws in your jurisdiction for advice on how to proceed in such cases.

What Can I Do If My Neighbor Is Building a Fence that is Unattractive?

If your neighbor is building a fence that you find unattractive, here are some steps you can take.

Before taking any action, check the local zoning laws in your area to determine if the fence meets the legal requirements. If it does not, you can file a complaint with the local zoning board or code enforcement office.

Before taking legal action, it is often best to approach your neighbor and discuss your concerns. They may be willing to work with you to modify the fence or find a compromise that works for both parties.

If talking to your neighbor does not resolve the issue, you can consider mediation. Mediation is a process in which a neutral third party helps you and your neighbor come to an agreement. You can find a mediator through a local mediation center or through your city or county government.

If all else fails, you may need to take legal action. This may involve filing a lawsuit against your neighbor for violating zoning laws or for creating a nuisance. You should consult with a lawyer to determine the best course of action in your situation.

Legal action can be time-consuming, expensive, and may damage your relationship with your neighbor. Before taking any legal action, consider all of your options and try to find a solution that works for both parties.

Who Should Pay to Repair a Fence that Borders Two Neighbors?

When a fence borders two neighbors’ properties, determining who is responsible for repairs can be a bit tricky. The responsibility for maintenance and repairs may depend on local laws and previous agreements.

If the fence is clearly located within one neighbor’s property, that neighbor is generally responsible for repairs and maintenance. However, if the fence is located directly on the property line and is considered a shared or “boundary fence,” the responsibilities may be different.

Some jurisdictions have laws and regulations related to shared fences and may dictate how repair and maintenance responsibilities should be divided. Research your local laws or speak with an attorney to understand your responsibilities.

If there is a prior agreement between neighbors, either written or verbal, regarding the fence’s maintenance and repair responsibilities, this agreement should typically be honored. It’s always a good idea to have such agreements in writing to avoid misunderstandings or disputes in the future.

Even if there isn’t a legal requirement for sharing repair costs, it’s generally considered good neighbor practice to contribute to the maintenance of a shared fence. Open communication and cooperation can go a long way in keeping a positive relationship with your neighbor.

A property lawyer can help with fence-related issues in several ways:

  1. Clarify legal responsibilities: A property lawyer can help you understand local laws and regulations related to fence maintenance and repairs, as well as any specific responsibilities that apply to your situation.
  2. Review and draft agreements: If you and your neighbor decide to create a written agreement outlining the responsibilities for fence maintenance and repairs, a property lawyer can help you review or draft the agreement to ensure that it is legally sound and enforceable.
  3. Resolve disputes: If a dispute arises between neighbors regarding fence repair responsibilities, a property lawyer can provide legal advice and represent your interests in negotiations or, if necessary, in court.
  4. Establish ownership: In cases where it’s unclear who owns a fence, a property lawyer can help you determine ownership by reviewing property records, surveys, and other relevant documents.

Before undertaking any legal action, it’s best to communicate with your neighbor and attempt to resolve the issue amicably. However, if that isn’t possible, consulting a property lawyer can provide valuable guidance and help protect your interests.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Help Me with my Fence Problem?

If you are unable to resolve the issue through mediation or negotiations with your neighbor, consulting with a real estate lawyer may be a good idea.

A real estate lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options, review any relevant zoning laws, and determine whether you have a strong case to pursue legal action. They can also represent you in court if necessary.

If you are looking for a real estate lawyer to assist you with your fence problem, LegalMatch can help. LegalMatch is an online legal matching service that can connect you with experienced real estate lawyers in your area. Simply post your case details, and we will match you with qualified lawyers who can help you with your case.

Law Library Disclaimer


16 people have successfully posted their cases

Find a Lawyer