Find the right lawyer now

EEOC and Gender Discrimination Lawyers

Find a Local Employment Lawyer near You

How Do I Sue for Gender Discrimination?

There are two ways you can sue an employer for gender discrimination:  Under the Equal Pay Act or under Title VII.  If you want to sue under Title VII, you first must file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).  The EEOC will investigate your complaint and may be able to settle it for you.  Only after the EEOC has responded to your complaint can you sue.   Under the Equal Pay Act, there is no need to file a complaint with the EEOC. 

How Do I File a Complaint with the EEOC?

The EEOC has strict deadlines and regulations that you must follow:

  • The complaint has to be filed with the EEOC within 180 days from when the discriminatory act took place. If there is a state or local agency with anti-discrimination authority where you are, the EEOC will not do anything for 60 days in order to let that other agency act.
  • The complaint can be filed in person, by phone or by mail.
  • In the complaint there must be a description of the discriminatory actions and the dates.
  • If the EEOC decides not to take action on your complaint it will issue a right to sue letter, which gives the employee 90 days to sue the employer.

Do I Need a Lawyer for My Gender Discrimination Case?

Filing a complaint with the EEOC can be difficult.  An experienced employment lawyer can help you meet all the requirements the EEOC demands.  If the EEOC issues you a right to sue letter, an employment lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against your employer.

Photo of page author Ken LaMance

, LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 03-14-2018 11:09 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.