Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Laws

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

What Is Dependency and Indemnity Compensation?

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) tax-free payments are made to survivors of military personnel who have died in the line of duty. These payments are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Who May Receive Compensation?

DIC may be paid to eligible survivors of: 

Eligible survivors include: 

Additionally, if a surviving spouse does get remarried, but that marriage ends in death, divorce, or annulment, DIC can be restored. 

How Can an Eligible Survivor Apply?

All an eligible survivor should need to do is complete VA Form 21-534. This form is called "Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child." Once it is complete, the survivor should send it to the VA regional office. If an eligible survivor wishes to restore DIC benefits, they should only need to call 1-800-827-1000 for more information.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

A veteran's affair lawyer would be able to inform you of the rights you have as an eligible survivor. A lawyer may also help in dealing with the relevant agencies.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-28-2014 08:07 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark