California Registered Domestic Partnership Lawyers

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

What Is a Registered Domestic Partnership?

A registered domestic partnership is a legally-binding contract entered into by two people who wish to formalize their relationship without going through a marriage ceremony. Registered domestic partnerships in California are available to some heterosexual couples and to all same-sex couples.

Who Can Register for a Domestic Partnership in California?

Domestic partnership is an alternative to marriage. You can choose to register as domestic partners if you are in a committed gay or lesbian relationship. If you are committed in an opposite-sex relationship in California where at least one partner is 62 years of age or older, you also have the opportunity to register.

How Do I Register a Domestic Partnership With the State of California?

If you and your partner meet the requirements above you may be eligible to register a domestic partnership with the California Secretary of State. You can register by doing all of the following:

What Kind of Benefits Do Domestic Partnerships Confer?

Registration in a domestic partnership in California now confers the same state rights and responsibilities as marriage would. However, domestic partners are not necessarily able to receive the same federal benefits or have their partnership recognized in other states or countries.     

Do You Need to Be a California Resident to Register?

No, there is no legal requirement that partners attempting to register as domestic partners in California be California residents. If you and your partner are eligible you can complete the "Declaration of Domestic Partnership" and have it notarized by a notary in any state. However, the state where you do live may not recognize your union.

How Do You Terminate a Registered Domestic Partnership?

Termination of a domestic partnership is now done through the same process as the dissolution of a marriage.

Do I Need an Attorney to Help Me Get a Domestic Partnership?

You may wish to consult with a California lawyer if you have questions about what rights and responsibilities this procedure gives the partners. If you would like to terminate a California domestic partnership, you will also likely need to consult an attorney.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-06-2015 04:09 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark