Aviation insurance is insurance coverage against aviation mishaps, including the operation of aircraft coupled with exposure to any loss. Aviation insurance typically covers damages to the aircraft and its contents, any liability for passenger injury or death, products liability and airport liability.
How Much Insurance Will I Need?
The amount of insurance that you will need to operate an aircraft depends on many factors, including but not limited to:
- The passenger capacity of your aircraft
- The kinds of passengers (pleasure or business) you typically fly
- Average passenger load per flight
- The value of your aircraft
How Do I File an Aviation Insurance Claim?
After an accident, you should file a letter to your insurance company that:
- States the location and time of the air crash incident, providing a description of any injuries and damages sustained
- Does not assign fault to any party
- Asks the insurance company to acknowledge that they have received your claim
- Asks the insurance company to also recognize that you are covered by the policy and to provide a defense for you
After receiving a claim, the insurer can proceed in one of three ways:
- Provide defense and coverage
- Provide a defense, but reserving the rights to decide whether they will grant coverage or not
- Refuse a defense and coverage
What if my Insurance Company will not Cover my Claim?
An aviation insurance company generally has a duty to defend their insured. The aviation insurance company does this by:
- Selecting the lawyer for your defense
- Deciding how much money to spend on your defense
- Deciding whether or not to settle the lawsuits against you within coverage limits
These policies typically require the insured not to interfere with the defense and to cooperate with his assigned lawyer. However, if your insurance company does not give you proper assurance of your coverage or defense, then you may need to consider hiring your own attorney to protect your interests.
Do I Need to Consult an Attorney for my Aviation Insurance Problem?
Insurance companies will occasionally deny a claim that they should have paid for. In addition, aviation insurance is a complicated area with different regulations governing various jurisdictions. It may be helpful to consult an experienced personal injury attorney. A personal injury lawyer can help you defend against a claim or can help you recover and settle claims owed to you by your insurance company.