Restraining Orders and Traveling or Moving to a New State

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Most Common Family Law Issues:

I'm Moving to a New State. Do I Have to Get a New Restraining Order?

If you have a restraining order and you move to a new state, you do not have to get a new order.  You simply have to register the order with the court or police department in your new state.  For example, if you move to California, you must bring a certified copy of the order to a California court along with a registration form.

I'm Visiting another State.  Is My Restraining Order Valid There?

Your restraining order is valid everywhere in the United States and you will be protected by it no matter where you are in the country.  If you are concerned, it may be a good idea to keep a copy of your order with you while you travel.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Move or Travel to a New State with a Restraining Order?

If you are moving to a new state and you have a restraining order against someone else, it may be wise to consult a family attorney, especially if you have children.  Speaking with a family lawyer may help you understand your options and recommend the best actions to take.  A family lawyer can also help you register the restraining order in your new state.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 02-17-2011 02:01 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Restraining Orders and Traveling or Moving to a New State, states,states,move,moving,restraining order,domestic violence,lawyer,attorney