Child Support Modification Lawyers

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Most Common Family Law Issues:

Can Child Support Payments Be Modified?

Child support orders can be modified any time there is a significant change in circumstances.  The change in circumstances could either be for the parent who is paying child support or for the receiving child.

What Qualifies as a Significant Change in Circumstances?

Significant changes in the paying parent’s circumstances may include: 

Significant Changes in the Child’s Circumstances may Include: 

Do I Need to go to Court to Change Child Support Orders?

You may not need to go to court to change a child support order, as long as the payment rate and schedule can be modified by the two parents.  If the two parents decide to do so outside of the courts, they must follow the same formula for child support that the courts do and should put the new agreement into writing.  If the two parents cannot agree on a new arrangement, they must bring the issue to a court hearing.

Is There a Limit to the Number of Times I Can Change a Child Support Order?

Either parent can have child support modified as often as necessary until the child is no longer dependent on the parents. Child independence varies from state to state, but common age of independence is when the child reaches adulthood at age eighteen or when the child graduates from college.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Modify a Child Support Order?

If you are seeking to modify a child support order, it may be wise to speak with a family lawyer to discuss your options, especially if you are planning to go to court.  Consulting with an experienced family lawyer can help you understand your rights and help you deal with the complicated court system.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-12-2012 12:08 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Child Support Modification Lawyers, child support, child, support, modified, change, circumstances, court, parents, lawyer, attorney