What Types of Corporations Get Tax Breaks?

Locate a Local Business Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Business Law Issues:

What Types of Corporations Get Tax Breaks?

Corporate tax laws can sometimes be very complicated, and can be confusing to understand. What’s more, corporate tax laws are very different from state to state. Some corporations are associated with certain tax breaks or tax benefits. Some corporate forms that are associated with unique tax treatment may include:

Lastly, while not specifically a "tax break", there are major differences between C corporations and S corporations. In a C corporation, it is the corporation that pays taxes as an entity. With S corporations, it is the shareholders who pay taxes.

This can spell different results depending on the yearly profits for the corporation. Companies that file as S corporations need to beware of double taxation issues. On the other hand, members of C corporations often experience various tax-free benefits, since it is the corporation that handles the taxes.

What Happens if a Corporation Violates Tax Laws?

In most cases, the corporation needs to specifically request for the tax credit or deduction. On the other hand, altering tax information in order to make the company appear eligible for a tax break can be considered a violation.

If the company is found to be in violation of a corporate tax law, it may prompt an investigation by a government agency. This may involve a close examination of the company’s tax documents to determine if there are any issues with fraud or other types of white collar crime. This can often be a complicated process.

What Are the Penalties for Corporate Tax Violations?

Penalties for corporate tax violations may include:

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with Corporate Tax Laws?

Corporate tax laws and corporate tax breaks can sometimes be confusing to understand. You may need to hire a lawyer if you have any questions regarding the business laws in your state. Your attorney can assist you in preparing tax documents, filing papers with the court, and representing you if you need to file a lawsuit.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-20-2017 10:57 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark