Find the right lawyer now

Separate and Shared Marriage Property

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

How Do You Define Property When Getting a Divorce?

When getting a separation or divorce, it is a very common practice to divide the property either through a mutual agreement or through a court proceeding. When taken into court, these disputes are dealt with in terms of what is shared property and what is separate property. As these determinations are made, anything deemed to be separate property is not relevant to the proceeding and belongs to the person whose separate property it is. Shared property will be deemed to belong to both husband and wife, and its future owner will be decided by the court.

What is Commonly Referred to as Separate Property?

The following are the most common forms of separate property: 

  • inheritances and gifts
  • heirlooms
  • chattels used wholly or principally for a business
  • property acquired under a trust
  • property that the partners declare is separate under an agreement
  • property acquired before the relationship began
  • property acquired with the proceeds of separate property and not intended for the use or benefit of both partners

What is Commonly Referred to as Shared Property?

The following are the most common forms of shared property: 

  • home taken in the name of husband and wife
  • the family chattels, which include the furniture, fittings, household equipment and appliances, vehicles, and boats, even if they are in one person's name
  • any common or jointly-owned property
  • property acquired before the relationship began if it was intended for the couple's common use or benefit
  • all earned income and property bought after the relationship began
  • the value added during the relationship to superannuation and life insurance policies

Should I Contact a Family Law Attorney?

If you are going through a divorce and are in a dispute over the status of property, you may find the advice of a family attorney to be extremely helpful. Because of the complicated nature of divorce proceedings, the counsel of a divorce attorney that specializes in these kinds of disputes can be beneficial when evaluating how to proceed with the separation or divorce.

Photo of page author Ken LaMance

, LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 07-01-2018 11:53 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.