Personal injury lawyers focus on claims where an injury is the main focus of the lawsuit. Personal injury law covers many different subjects and topics, including:
- Car accidents
- Negligence and malpractice
- Premises liability claims such as dangerous structures causing injuries
- Slip and fall-type accidents
- Intentional torts, such as assault and battery
- Various product liability laws
Thus, personal injury attorneys often have a broad knowledge of many types of physical injuries, accidents, and situations involving risk of injury. Attorneys who handle personal injuries may often focus solely on one area of law, such as product liability, negligence, or car accidents.
What Tasks Do Personal Injury Lawyers Perform?
Personal injury lawyers have the unique job of helping injured clients obtain compensation for their injuries. Or, they may help someone who is being sued with their defense against a personal injury claim. Some common tasks performed by personal injury lawyers include:
- Formulating legal arguments
- Researching personal injury laws
- Compiling evidence in preparation for trial
- Reviewing forms and documents
- Representing clients in court and making oral arguments on their client's behalf
- Assisting with appeals when necessary
Also, personal injury attorneys often work with third parties who were not directly involved in the accident, such as insurance companies or employers. This is a necessary component of many personal injury cases, as compensation for injuries can sometimes pass through these third parties, rather than solely through the defendant.
Do I Need to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
Attorney personal injury laws create strict ethical and personal standards for legal professionals. These legal professionals are bound by various professional responsibility laws that ensure the client’s confidentiality and best interests during a personal injury case. You may need to hire a qualified personal injury lawyer if you need help with a lawsuit. Your attorney can perform various tasks and can provide you with representation for your claim.