Legal Immigration Status for Family Members

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

How Can I Get Legal Immigration Status for Family Members?

Generally speaking, the normal route is for a family member who is legally in the U.S. to petition (sponsor) their family member who may be located in a different country.  This can be done by:

This can be done by assisting the foreign relative in filing for a family-based visa.  When doing so, the U.S.-based person must provide evidence in support of the petition, such as documents that would prove that they are related.  Waiting times for family-based visas can depend on a number of factors, including the number of family visas that were issued in the year before. 

Are There Any Alternatives for Helping Family Members Get Legal Immigration Status?

Besides the normal routes for obtaining legal immigration status for family members, there may be other alternatives available.  For example, legal immigration status can be granted through the following routes:

Lastly, while not technically a family-based petition, it is also possible for a person to petition their future spouse for immigration into the U.S. using a fiancé visa petition. 

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help With the Immigration Status of Family Members?

Immigration laws can often be complex because they are subject to change from year to year. If you or one of your family members needs help with their immigration status, you should speak with an immigration lawyer immediately.  Your immigration attorney can assist you with your status and can research the laws to determine your options.  Your lawyer can help represent you in court if needed, as you may have several options that you might not be aware of. 

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-19-2012 12:06 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark